Charbagh Railway Station, Lucknow
Famously known across the country for being one of the most wondrous railway stations of India, the main railway station of the city of Nawabs is situated in the Charbagh area, whose structural designs never fail charm any of its visitors. The building is designed as an amalgamation of Indo-British style of architecture by J.H Horniman. Painted in red and white, this splendid structure looks like a Rajput palace from outside and from the sky it partially appears like a chess board with each of its turrets and domes that look like the chess pieces. The most striking feature in the designs of this railway station is that water reservoirs are so beautifully hidden inside the facade being covered by curves. It is said that the architectural style of this station is so amazing that makes it is nearly impossible for anyone standing outside the station to hear the sounds of the incoming or outgoing trains.
‘Foundation of this building was laid on 21st March, 1914 by Bishop George Herbert and it was later in 1923 when it got re-constructed. This railway station was built at the cost of around rupees 60-70 Lakhs, which was quite an expensive amount in those days. On 1st August, 1925 C.L Colvin, the agent of East India Railway laid inside the turret of the same building, a casket containing a coin of those times and a newspaper of the same day as a call to remembrance of the successful completion of the foundation of the building. It is the same place where Gandhi ji first met Jawahar Lal Nehru and from 26th December, 1916 to 30th December,1916 he took part in the opening session of legislature of Congress which was held at Charbagh Railway station and placed his proposal of putting an end to the sending of Indian labours abroad. It was again during the months of March-April in the year 1936 when Mahatma Gandhi came to Lucknow for the second time in order to attend another session of Congress Legislature’, states Mr. Taqui, an eminent Historian of Awadh.
Credit : Intern – Divya Suri